Biruk Haile (Ph.D.)
Position: Legal Director, Intellectual Property and Technology Practice Group
Biography: Biruk Haile (PhD) is a Legal Director in MLA’s Intellectual Property and Technology (IPT) Practice. He is a seasoned academician and law practitioner with over 20 years of experience. In addition to his role in MLA, he is currently serving as an assistant professor of law at the School of Law of Addis Ababa University, which is one of the most prestigious higher education institutions in the country.
Even though, his primary expertise has been intellectual property and technology; he also has an ample exposure and experience of other commercial and investment related matters.
Dr. Biruk Haile attended several high level certificate programs for professional development on intellectual property organized by WIPO and other organizations. This include:
- IP PANAROMA (online session) within the framework of Advanced international Certificate Course (AICC) (March-May, 2020) (organized jointly by WIPO, KIPA, KIPA, KAIST);
- WIPO-WTO colloquium for intellectual property teachers and researchers in Africa, April 9-12, 2018, ( University of South Africa, Pretoria);
- Advanced Training and Advisory Program on Intellectual Property in Global Economy, (PRV-WIPO, Stockholm, Sweden, 2017);
- The 11th WIPO-WTO Colloquium for Teachers of Intellectual Property, (WIPO-WTO, Geneva, Switzerland, June 2014) ;
- The Dos and Don'ts of Technology Licensing for Developing Countries" , (IDLO, Rome, Italy), November 2013; and
- Training on WTO Laws by WTI Advisors, (Technical Assistance to the Law
- LL.B, Addis Ababa University School of Law, Ethiopia, with distinction (2002)
- LL.M, Addis Ababa University School of Law, Ethiopia, (2005)
- PhD (in Intellectual Property Law), Andhra University, (2011)
Before Joining MLA Dr. Biruk has worked in different capacity such as;
- WIPO National Expert to Comment on the Revised Draft Ethiopian Intellectual Property Policy and Strategy (2014)
- UNDP Consultant, Rapid Gap Assessment and Development of Program on Enhancing Institutional Capacity on Local Economic Governance (LEG) in Selected Regions in Ethiopia, 2016.
- WIPO EIPA IP Academy Project national Consultant (2021-Present), WIPO Academy
- Member of Committee for drafting Evidence Law of Ethiopia (Jimma university), submitted to the Justice and legal Reform Research institute, Addis Ababa, 2005
- Assistant Editor-in chief, Journal of Ethiopian law, 2016-2018
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Ethiopian law, 2016-current
- Court appointed arbitrator (ad hoc basis)
- Court appointed investigating judge (ad hoc basis)